Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Swimming

I went swimming this morning.  Managed a pretty solid 950 yards.  I know it's not huge, and I can tell you that it was pretty slow.  The ladies in the two lanes next to me, who certainly weren't swimming fast were passing me left, right, and centre.

I forgot my goggles, so I was a bit less relaxed than I would have liked as the water was splashing my face, and I couldn't do front crawl at all.  It did mean I got to think about my backstroke a bit more.  I know I'm slow for a few reasons: I'm out of shape, so I can't stroke fast without stroking out, I'm not pulling consistently with both arms or keeping my stroke even so that my velocity remains as constant as possible.  I keep ending up bumping into the lane barrier to my left, which is a bit disconcerting, and that doesn't really help either.  I'm still struggling to keep everything working together too.  My leg motion is more like a drowning person than a swimming person.  It's erratic, uneven, and more or less useless short of keeping my afloat somewhat.  I'm either flapping wildly, or alternating between barely any movement, and a kind of leg tweaking that is pretty silly.

I never could propel myself with my legs.  Maybe I can get someone to look at what I'm doing so wrong.

My breast stroke seems like it's improving.  Everytime I notice my shoulders being taught, which for me, is a near-constant state of affairs, I try and relax.  I'm also trying to increase the speed at which I move my hands back through to the front after a stroke in preparation for the next one.

More tomorrow I hope, maybe I'll even remember my damn goggles next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment